The Mumbai Indians have retired the number 10 shirt worn by Sachin Tendulkar as a mark of respect to the Little Master who will bow out of cricket in just over one month’s time.
Tendulkar will play begin his 200th and final Test Match against West Indies on 14 November at the Wankhede Stadium.
A campaign had begun in Mumbai last year to retire the jersey after Tendulkar played his last One-Day International.
At a Champions League (CLt20) party to celebrate the Mumbai franchises victory over Rajasthan Royals, Tendulkar’s teammates wore his number 10 shirt in tribute to the 40-year-old who played his last T20 match in the final on October 6.
“I think it was a befitting tribute to our ‘Master’ as we call him,” the owner of the Mumbai Indians, Nita Ambani, told the DNA newspaper. “Winning the IPL as well as the Champions League T20 in the same season is a great achievement.
“It’s a very emotional moment for us and we have decided to retire his No. 10 jersey,” Ambani added.
- Sachin Tendulkar: Bowing out with CLT20 and IPL triumphs were “special” (cricketbadger.com)
- Sachin Tendulkar’s retirement hype up there with Don Bradman (cricketbadger.com)
- CLT20 Final Preview: Dravid vs Tendulkar, time to say goodbye. Rajasthan Royals vs Mumbai Indians. (cricketbadger.com)
- CLT20 FINAL: Mumbai Indians give Sachin Tendulkar perfect send-off as Dravid’s Rajasthan Royals fall short (cricketbadger.com)
As the editor of Cricket Badger he is intent on building the website to give quality coverage of the domestic game around the world.
James was the full-time Media Manager at Yorkshire County Cricket Club between 2007 and 2010.
James is a published author and a writer/video contributor to many cricket publications.
He's unsurprisingly a complete cricket badger!
Latest posts by James Buttler (see all)
- EDITOR’S UAE TOUR BLOG – Time to bring the Champion County game home - March 28, 2017
- EDITOR’S UAE TOUR BLOG – Farewell my new PSL friends - March 27, 2017
- Lewis Gregory on Somerset’s heartbreak and going one better in 2017 - March 27, 2017