ECB today announced that the former Sussex and Pakistan ‘A’ cricketer Naveed Arif Gondal has been banned from cricket for life after he admitted breaching the ECB’s Anti-Corruption Code.
In a statement via his lawyer Arif said he was”deeply ashamed of his actions” and “has no excuses”.
Arif pleaded guilty to six breaches of the code, all of which related to corrupt activity in connection with the Clydesdale Bank 40 fixture between Sussex and Kent at Hove in August 2011. His admissions were made in tape-recorded interviews with the ECB’s anti-corruption unit and via signed statements.
In accordance with the provisions of the ECB Anti-Corruption Code, Mr Arif has accepted an agreed sanction of a life ban from all forms of cricket. The terms of the ban will prevent him from playing, coaching or participating in any form of cricket which is recognised or sanctioned by ECB, the ICC or any other National Cricket Federation.
Arif, 32, had been playing for Little Stoke in the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League prior to the temporary suspension which was imposed in April 2014.
“Today’s announcement sends out a very clear message that ECB has a zero-tolerance approach to corruption in cricket and that it will root out and punish those who pose a threat to the game’s integrity,” said ECB Chief Executive David Collier. “We thank the anti-corruption team for their work in bringing this case and trust that it will serve as a stark reminder to all players of the dangers that corrupt activities pose to their careers and livelihoods.”
Latest posts by Cricket Badger (see all)
- IPL MATCH 29: The sun doesn’t rise in Bangalore as RCB on exit brink - April 25, 2017
- IPL BETTING PREVIEW: KKR v GL, Raina’s boys have a chance to halt Kolkata’s momentum - April 20, 2017
- 18-wicket Ben Coad rewarded with new Yorkshire deal - April 19, 2017