Stiaan van Zyl and Justin Ontong contributed solid scores for the Cape Cobras, but Quinton Friend’s three-wicket haul helped the Knights to match their hosts on day one of their Sunfoil Series match at Sahara Park Newlands on Thursday.
Van Zyl, having already scored two centuries this campaign, and Ontong both came agonisingly close to scoring hundreds and the pair shared in the key partnership of the day when they added 101 for the third wicket.
However, Werner Coetsee separated the pair when he dismissed Van Zyl for 94, and Friend ensured a sense of parity when he had Ontong caught behind for 93 with stumps in sight.
The rest of the Cobras batsmen were guilty of not capitalising on some solid starts.
Opener Omphile Ramela faced 115 balls for his 16 before he was dismissed by Friend, while Andrew Puttick fell for 24 and Dane Vilas went for 21 after getting through 65 deliveries.
Friend also trapped Yaseen Vallie lbw for two as he registered figures of 3 for 45 from 21 overs.
Justin Kemp and Rory Kleinveldt will resume on nine and four respectively when play continues on Friday.
- Stiaan van Zyl puts Cape Cobras on top of Sunfoil Series stakes (cricketbadger.com)
- Stiaan Van Zyl secures massive lead for the Cape Cobras (cricketbadger.com)
- Stephen Cook and Stiaan van Zyl stake their Sunfoil claims (cricketbadger.com)
As the editor of Cricket Badger he is intent on building the website to give quality coverage of the domestic game around the world.
James was the full-time Media Manager at Yorkshire County Cricket Club between 2007 and 2010.
James is a published author and a writer/video contributor to many cricket publications.
He's unsurprisingly a complete cricket badger!
Latest posts by James Buttler (see all)
- EDITOR’S UAE TOUR BLOG – Time to bring the Champion County game home - March 28, 2017
- EDITOR’S UAE TOUR BLOG – Farewell my new PSL friends - March 27, 2017
- Lewis Gregory on Somerset’s heartbreak and going one better in 2017 - March 27, 2017