Andrew Puttick narrowly missed out on his highest first-class score, but his 241 and Yaseen Vallie’s unbeaten century carried the Cape Cobras to a massive score on day two of their Sunfoil Series fixture against the Warriors at Axxess St George’s on Friday.
Puttick fell nine runs short of his personal best of 250 not out when he was bowled by Jon-Jon Smuts, but it was a rare and somewhat irrelevant disappointment for the Cobras on a day when the Warriors were made to toil.
The visitors declared on 526 for four after Vallie had gone to his eighth first-class hundred, before making a handy breakthrough when Puttick pouched Michael Price off the bowling of Beuran Hendricks.
That left the Warriors on 15 for one after four overs when bad light brought a slightly premature end to the day’s play, with David White and Smuts at the crease.
Puttick resumed on his overnight score of 159 and showed no compulsion to leave the rest of the job to his teammates. He and Vallie extended their partnership for the fourth wicket to 178 as the Cobras opted on a ‘bat once’ strategy. After Puttick had finally met his end, Vallie added another 61 runs with Dane Vilas, who scored 32 not out off just 38 deliveries.
The Warriors were left with an awkward passage of play to negotiate, which Price failed to do, and now face a couple of days of testing bowling from Hendricks, Rory Kleinveldt and new Cobras call-up Dane Paterson.
- Andrew Puttick’s century bats Cape Cobras into control (cricketbadger.com)
- Cape Cobras call up in-form Dane Paterson (cricketbadger.com)
- Beuran Hendricks sets tone for Cape Cobras in Sunfoil defence (cricketbadger.com)
- Consistency holds the key for the Cape Cobras (cricketbadger.com)
As the editor of Cricket Badger he is intent on building the website to give quality coverage of the domestic game around the world.
James was the full-time Media Manager at Yorkshire County Cricket Club between 2007 and 2010.
James is a published author and a writer/video contributor to many cricket publications.
He's unsurprisingly a complete cricket badger!
Latest posts by James Buttler (see all)
- EDITOR’S UAE TOUR BLOG – Time to bring the Champion County game home - March 28, 2017
- EDITOR’S UAE TOUR BLOG – Farewell my new PSL friends - March 27, 2017
- Lewis Gregory on Somerset’s heartbreak and going one better in 2017 - March 27, 2017