A remarkable final half-hour capped a dramatic third day as the Titans lost four wickets in four overs to enable the Highveld Lions to catapult themselves towards a Sunfoil Series victory at SuperSport Park on Saturday.
It was not a position many would have predicted when the Titans began the day on 278 for six in their first innings, but the loss of Farhaan Behardien for 66 in the third over of the day sped things along as the hosts were bowled out for 319 – a first-innings deficit of exactly 100.
A century partnership between openers Stephen Cook (46) and Dominic Hendricks (63) stamped the Lions’ authority on the match, but there were almost no contributions from the middle-order once they had been dismissed.
Temba Bavuma hit 44 and Thami Tsolekile was left stranded once again – this time on 28 – but the other seven batsmen were all out for single figures as the Lions were sent packing for 219, with Rowan Richards taking 4 for 39.
That gave the Titans a sight of victory, but not for long. Francois le Clus was trapped lbw by Chris Morris in the third over of the chase, and four overs later Behardien was caught at slip off the bowling of Hardus Viljoen to leave the Titans still 300 runs short of victory with just five wickets in hand.
Morris had figures of 3 for 12 when Behardien’s departure signalled stumps, while Viljoen had 2 for 7 for the innings and 7 for 79 for the match.
- Late Hardus Viljoen strike for Highveld Lions unsettles Titans (cricketbadger.com)
- Stephen Cook and Temba Bavuma put Highveld Lions in control (cricketbadger.com)
- Cool Toyana ready to lift Lions’ Momentum (cricketbadger.com)
- Geoffrey Toyana sees Lions Sunfoil clash with Titans as most important (cricketbadger.com)
As the editor of Cricket Badger he is intent on building the website to give quality coverage of the domestic game around the world.
James was the full-time Media Manager at Yorkshire County Cricket Club between 2007 and 2010.
James is a published author and a writer/video contributor to many cricket publications.
He's unsurprisingly a complete cricket badger!
Latest posts by James Buttler (see all)
- EDITOR’S UAE TOUR BLOG – Time to bring the Champion County game home - March 28, 2017
- EDITOR’S UAE TOUR BLOG – Farewell my new PSL friends - March 27, 2017
- Lewis Gregory on Somerset’s heartbreak and going one better in 2017 - March 27, 2017