Rain played havoc with the first day of the second round of Sunfoil Series fixtures on Thursday with a combined total of just 65.4 overs possible across the three matches.
While the first day of the Dolphins’ game against the Knights at the Maritzburg Oval was abandoned altogether, Sahara Willowmoore Park saw 23 overs of action as Titans made a solid start with the bat against the Cape Cobras.
After winning the toss and electing to bat, the Titans moved to 84 without loss before bad light and rain brought an early close. The home side did, however, suffer a casualty when Heino Kuhn was forced to retire hurt on 25 after eight overs because of a hand injury. At that stage the Titans were 34 for no wicket, and Francois le Clus (25 not out) and Cobus Pienaar (30 not out) saw them through the remainder of the day.
Potchefstroom saw the most cricket on the day, with the Highveld Lions reaching 149 for two after winning the toss and electing to bat against the Warriors.
Although the Lions fell to 55 for two prior to lunch as Dominic Hendricks was caught behind off the bowling of Rusty Theron, and Ayabulela Gqamane accounted for Alviro Petersen, Stephen Cook followed up the century he scored in round one with an unbeaten 75 to steady the innings.
Cook was well supported by Neil McKenzie (35 not out) in a partnership that was interrupted by rain and bad light on several occasions before stumps were called after just 42.4 overs of play.
- Highveld Lions complete big win to top Sunfoil standings (cricketbadger.com)
- Henry Davids says Titans will need to adapt quickly (cricketbadger.com)
- Titans crash to Highveld Lions pace attack (cricketbadger.com)
As the editor of Cricket Badger he is intent on building the website to give quality coverage of the domestic game around the world.
James was the full-time Media Manager at Yorkshire County Cricket Club between 2007 and 2010.
James is a published author and a writer/video contributor to many cricket publications.
He's unsurprisingly a complete cricket badger!
Latest posts by James Buttler (see all)
- IPL BETTING PREVIEW: RCBvSRH – Kohli’s glamour boys approaching last chance saloon against Sunrisers - April 24, 2017
- IPL BETTING PREVIEW: GLvKXIP and KKRvRCB, Kohli and Co back on track - April 22, 2017
- IPL BETTING PREVIEW: Mumbai Indians and Sunrisers Hyderabad the Saturday selections - April 21, 2017